The North Warning System (NWS) is a joint United States and Canadian radar system that includes 47 radar sites spanning the Arctic from Labrador to the Alaska border. The NWS provides the capability to detect airborne threats across North America's polar region, providing a command and control capability to the Canadian Air Defence Sector (CADS) of the North American Aerospace Defence Command (NORAD).
Canadian Base Operators, with Raytheon Canada Ltd., will provide Operations and Maintenance (O&M) of the NWS system including full care, custody, and control of the entire NWS and its components. This includes 47 radar sites; five logistics support sites (LSSs), a monitoring and control center, and a radar depot. Key activities include radar, equipment and facilities maintenance/repair; logistics support; and remote monitoring and control.
Providing preventive and corrective maintenance on systems such as fire systems (suppression and detection), HVAC, power generation, electrical distribution, water & sewage systems, building shell construction and roads and grounds.
Essential job functions
- Perform preventive and corrective maintenance on the following systems, bulk fuel systems including dipping tanks, pipeline inspection, pumps, valves and filters, hydronic heating systems including heat exchangers, waste heat recovery boilers, pumps, piping, and unit heaters, building infrastructure including guy wires and general maintenance of the site, water distribution and sewage systems including transferring water by truck
- Provide assistance to apprentices and other trades as required
- Document and maintain facilities files as related to the work management system, work plans, field/incident reports, data analysis, etc.
- Respond to emergency situations (unexpected failures);
- This position will be required to travel to various NWS sites, some of which are in remote, northern locations, with close quarters and subject to inclement weather conditions. Work will take place both indoors and outdoors, at times be physically demanding.
- Keep work spaces and general areas clean, orderly and hazard free; wear personal protective equipment
- Prepare personal timesheets
- Secondary duties, as required, may include but not limited to : participating on the Fire Brigade; providing bear protection; assisting in the maintenance of the LSS library; conducting environmental, safety, security and quality checks and audits, general housekeeping in support of a healthy and safe workplace environment and taking proactive and corrective measures in these area
- Minimum Qualifications & Training
- Highschool diploma or equivalent
- Inter-provincial Red Seal trade certification in a facilities system related trade
- 3 years’ related experience (diagnostic and repairs), minimum, in a commercial or industrial setting
- multi-disciplinary facilities maintenance experience an asset
- Ability to read and interpret related drawings and manuals
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Outlook
- Standard First Aid trained with CPR Level A (with valid certificate)
- Must already hold a Level II (Secret) Clearance or be eligible to obtain one. Approval of security clearance by the Canadian Industrial Security Directorate is a condition of employment.
- Must already hold a valid PAL or be eligible to obtain one.
- Hold a valid class ‘G’ driver’s license, or provincial/territorial equivalent
- Customer service and detail oriented
- Excellent written and verbal skills (English)
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume outlining how you meet the qualifications stated above. All applications will be accepted on an equal basis. However, failure to submit a cover letter and resume may result in the automatic rejection of your application. ALL INTERNAL APPLICANTS MUST NOTIFY THEIR SUPERVISOR OF THEIR INTEREST AND INTENT TO APPLY. We thank all applicants, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER